[TW: Rape] List of Comedians defending Tosh
List of Comedians that are being unapologetically dense about this issue:
- Jim Norton (“Why is it okay for an actor to play a rapist, but not for a comic to joke about it?”)
- Louis C.K. (“your show makes me laugh every time I watch it. And you have pretty eyes”)
- Patton Oswalt (“Wow, @danieltosh had to apologize to a self-aggrandizing, idiotic blogger. Hope I never have to do that (again).”)
- Dane Cook (“If you journey through life easily offended by other peoples words I think it’s best for everyone if you just kill yourself”)
- Anthony Jeselnik (“An offended audience member repeating a comedian’s act from memory is worse than, literally, anything”)
- Stevie Ryan (“Daniel Tosh can’t make a rape joke but Eminem can have hit songs about it? PS. AIDS jokes are funnier”)
- Doug Stanhope (“You’re hilarious. If you ever apologize to a heckler again I will rape you. #FuckThatPig”) — wow.
- Opie Radio (“To all the idiots! I completely support Daniel Tosh being a comic in a comedy club! Even if it means rape jokes!”)
- Kumail Nanjiani (“Two things about the Tosh thing. 1. It was said in the moment and not a pre written thing. 2. If you think he’s pro rape you’re an idiot.”) — this one, though. as though it makes it better that it was an off-the-cuff comment. don’t you see how revealing that is about him and his values?
- Sarah Beattie (“calm down about rape jokes everyone’s been raped at least once by george lucas”)
- Doug Benson (“Maybe Daniel Tosh was confused about where he was. He wouldn’t have offended anyone over at the Rape Factory. #ThisTweetWillBeDeletedSoon”)
Just so you have a list and can see how horrible people are all in one place
Pro-tip: If you can’t respond to heckling without threatening someone’s personal safety, don’t be a fucking comedian.
This is the only thing I will post on my tumblr about this. I’m bolding Alexandra’s words because she sums up in one sentence what the problem with Daniel Tosh’s “joke” is.
Now give me a minute to purge my anger…
I will NEVER understand why so many people are quick to defend so-called jokes about rape. Maybe if more people concentrated as much energy on condemning rapists as they do on defending rape “jokes” we’d have less rape in the world. Just a thought.
I don’t care that Tosh’s brand of comedy is based on being offensive. I don’t care about the bullshit philosophy of comedy that “everything is funny or nothing is.” The fact stands that Tosh’s response to a female heckler was to threaten her personal safety with a “joke” about rape, which is an ugly reality for women. This has nothing to do with being “overly sensitive” or “not having a sense of humor.” This has EVERYTHING to do with a comedian who thought the acceptable way to respond to a female heckler was to talk about her being raped.
If you have the PRIVILEGE to view rape as such an abstract concept that it could be funny to you, then good for fucking you. Not all of us are so lucky, and we’re sure as hell not laughing.